[Leish-l] FW: Leishmaniasis Pathology Network

jeffrey shaw jayusp at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 9 11:41:13 BRT 2011

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 11:58:52 +0100
From: paul.kaye at york.ac.uk

Subject: Leishmaniasis Pathology Network

    Dear all,
    Invitation to participate in a global pathology
      network for
      research and training in leishmaniasis (LeishPathNet)
    You may recall the Dormy House meeting in 2008
      and some of
      the plans we put forward?  Over
      the past
      couple years, I have also spoken more to a few of you about one
      idea that was
      formulated at Dormy, namely of setting up a digital pathology
      network. I have
      also had numerous discussions with the major equipment
      manufacturers to see if
      any of them would be supportive of helping us to develop such an
      initiative.  There have
      been two major
      develoments recently.  First,
      Carl Zeiss
      is willing to work with us to set up an integrated global digital
      pathology
      network (providing a significant financial and technical
      contribution) and
      second, the Wellcome Trust is willing to review a pre-proposal to
      fund the
      initiative through their new Biomedical Resources Grant scheme (http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/Funding/Biomedical-science/Funding-schemes/Strategic-awards-and-initiatives/wtdv031727.htm)
      .
    I have attached an outline of the project that
      I had sent to
      the Trust for their initial views, which I think is reasonably
      self-explanatory.
       They appeared very
      enthusiastic!  The main
      question now is whether enough of
      you are still supportive? [ I will also be sending this email to
      others, but please feel free to circulate ]

    I think the
        project will be
        challenging, but success could have a real impact on the way we
        conduct
        business.  It should serve not only as a vehicle to enhance
        research in
        leishmaniasis, but the model would be equally applicable across
        a broad range
        of diseases and global challenges (with leishmaniasis setting
        the pace).
    If we wish to
        proceed, the requirements
        are that we submit a pre-proposal to the Trust by Oct 18th 2011.
        This pre-proposal is short (4 sections of 350 words) and
        requires
        letters of support from the community.
    If you are
        supportive of the idea that
        we try to take this forward (and there is plenty of scope for
        later iteration
        of the detail), I would be grateful if you could please provide
        me with a
        letter of support by September
          12th
          2011, indicating whether you would like to be a network
        partner if the bid
        is successful.  You could
        also be
        supportive but not wish to become directly involved at this
        stage, and such
        letters are equally valuable. Your letter might also stress the
        added value
        that the network could provide, its importance for research and
        training and/or
        for progressing the translational agenda.
        It would also be an opportunity to indicate whether your
        group (or
        institute, if multiple groups) would be interested in bidding to
        be one of the
        initial ‘designated laboratories’.
    If there is
        sufficient support to
        proceed and if subsequently the pre-proposal is successful (we
        will know on 22nd
        Nov), then I will need a few volunteers to help finalise the
        full proposal,
        which will be due on Jan 26th 2012.
        A funding decision will be made on May 26th
        2012.
    Best wishes
        and of course I am happy to
        discuss any points further (though I will be out of the UK from
        Aug 10 –Sept
        12)
    Paul

    --
Professor Paul Kaye, Ph.D., FRCPath.
Deputy Dean (Research), Hull York Medical School, and

Tel:  +44 (0)1904 328840
Fax:  +44 (0)1904 328844
Email: paul.kaye at york.ac.uk <mailto:paul.kaye at york.ac.uk>

Centre Administrator and PA: Elizabeth Greensted
Tel:  01904 328845
Email: liz.greensted at york.ac.uk <mailto:liz.greensted at york.ac.uk>

Centre Email: cii at york.ac.uk <mailto:cii at york.ac.uk>

Centre website: http://www.york.ac.uk/cii

Times Higher Education University of the Year 2010

Email disclaimer: http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm