[Leish-l] Leishmaniasis - sand fly or sandfly or sand-fly?

Anthony Bryceson a.bryceson at doctors.net.uk
Mon Mar 30 21:06:23 BRT 2009

The academics have spoken, but us lay writers could be forgiven for
getting it "wrong". Usage accepts sandfly on this side of the
Atlantic. As Bob pointed out the divide between sandfly  and sand-fly
is the Atlantic Ocean. The Oxford English Dictionary and Collins offer
only sandfly, Webster offers only sand fly. Encyclopedia Britannica
uses sand fly, but then includes midges and gnats. Wikipedia is
utterly confused. Trawling the publications of the  famous ento-
parasito-logists showed that British journals such as TRSTMH use
sandfly, Continental journals mostly use sandfly when publishing in
English, but some such as Parassitologia seem a little more flexible
and use either. US journals use sand fly, but adopted the style at
different times: AJTMH in abut 1983, Science and Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz
by about 2000. I found only one sand-fly. So select your journal
carefully if you have strong feelings.
Anthony Bryceson