[leish-l] Raul Queiroz

Phillip Lawyer plawyer at usuhs.mil
Sat Sep 18 06:45:28 BRT 2004

My condolensces to Raul's family.

>>> Peter Singfield <snkm at btl.net> 09/16/04 14:32 PM >>>
At 11:10 PM 8/22/2004 -0300, Toby Barrett wrote:

Dear colleagues, Dr Raul Guerra de Queiroz died aged 39 on the  morning of
7 September 2004 while undergoing treatment for cancer in the city of
Fortaleza. Raul was consolidating a group here at the Instituto Nacional de
 Pesquisas da Amazônia (INPA), specializing in the immature forms of
</Lutzomyia/> and the use of laboratory colonies to address questions of
taxonomy and population diversity. He is survived by his parents and
several  students whom he was supervising.     Toby Barrett     Grupo de
Pesquisas em Biologia  Vetorial     Coordenação de Pesquisas em  Ciências
de Saúde, INPA, Manaus, Brazil

My condolences;

So young!!!

This is the third such message i have receive today -- well -- not dead --
but dying -- two other scientists I communicate with in Venezuela both are
dying from Cancers -- one is 45 years -- the other 52. Both after extensive
convential therapy failed.

It is interesting to note this increase in cancer in latin America these
days. Certainly -- here in Central America death due to cancer was
extremely rare in the late 70's when I arrived.

Since then it has become the major cause of death.

I could chart a comparison between "green revolution" (introduction of
modern mechanized agriculture) and cancer rates -- the two curves match so
well.

Are we all missing the trees for seeing only the forest -- or what??

More Green revolution -- more chemo -- more radiation -- to try and cure
the results -- and always staying in deep denial -- in regard to the causes
-- the etiology -- and in regards to the "cure"!!

How science has shriveled and died in the medical communities of Western
civilizations.

Course -- expect many deluded people to argue these statements -- where
would be without them today one must ask -- though??

Anything for a "buck" rules these days of ours.

Peter Singfield
Belize - Central America.