[leish-l] Leishmaniasis in Brazil

Richard Ashford ashford at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Jan 16 12:13:36 BRST 2003

Dear Jorge,

How nice to hear from you, and happy new year to you too, though its
getting a bit late for that.

Of course I completely disagree with you!  I had thought Ralph Lainson and
Jeff Shaw were the last remnants of the chagasists. It might be nice for
practical purposes to have different names for the organism in two
continents, but this contradicts various basic taxonomic essentials. This
is not a matter of splitters and lumpers, it is a matter of basic rules.

First, the 'rules of nomenclature' specifically prohibit the provisional
naming of putative species. Second, (see my recent letter with Gediminas
Valkiunas in TiP) natural host range, like geographical range is not a
valid taxonomic character. The 'single species null hypothesis' (I'd love
to see a reference for this: it states that two organisms must be regarded
as conspecific unless they can be shown to be different) is one of the most
important principles in taxonomy. Without it, all zoogeography and study of
host specificity become circular arguments. Do you need more?

I agree with you that the visceralising parasites are best treated as
subspecies: L. d. donovani and L. d. infantum. This is because even these
ones are not reliably separable in every instance, and because there are
good differences in their biological potential, which correlate reasonably
well with geography. So, if subspecies are used, these closely mimic
subspecies of sexual organisms.

The validity of 'archibaldi' is another question.  As things stand this
name has no validity at all because any existing definition of it is very
inadequate. Whether or not the insight of Lainson & Shaw, that there may be
two forms in Africa, one in Sudan, that behaves like donovani proper
(affects all ages, plenty of PKDL) and one in Kenya that behaves a little
more like infantum (many subclinical cases little or no PKDL), proves to be
related to valid taxonomic character states, is the subject of our study at
present. Whatever the answer, I very much doubt that the name archibaldi
will survive.

I still maintain that the continued use of 'chagasi' masks the real and
significant similarities between the various foci. And, anyway, if you want
to use technical taxonomic terms, it is really essential to follow the
rules. If you wanted to differentiate them, why not use vernacular terms
such as NWZVL and OWZVL? This will be adequate till someone finds the
reservoir host of Sudanese or Kenyan VL.

Well I guess these chat lines would be boring if everybody agreed on all
the issues!

All the best,

Dick

--On 16 January 2003 08:30 -0500 "Arias, Dr. Jorge (WDC)"