[leish-l] Leishmaniasis in Brazil

Richard Ashford ashford at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Jan 15 09:24:24 BRST 2003

Dear Dr Opperdoes,

In view of the repeated finding by several authors that the agent for South
American visceral leishmaniasis cannot reliably be distinguished from
Mediterranean L. infantum, what is your justification for the continued use
of 'L. chagasi'?

My own view is that geographical distribution is NOT a valid taxonomic
character, and the continued use of this synonym hides the important
implication that the infection was almost certainly introduced relatively
recently from the 'Old World'.

Dick Ashford

--On 14 January 2003 16:27 +0100 "Fred R. Opperdoes"