[leish-l] Leishmaniasis/Kangaroos/Australia

Jean Pierre Dedet parasito at univ-montp1.fr
Thu Aug 14 11:08:52 BRT 2003

Following the 7th July message of Fred Opperdoes about possible occurrence
of cutaneous leishmaniasis in Kangaroos, this would be the first mention of
leishmaniasis in Australia, a rather exciting finding.
We are, in my lab, ready to carry out isoenzymatic and molecular
identification on the isolates.
Our Lab has a more than 30 years experience in Leishmania identification.
Since 1975,we have an International Cryobank of  Leishmania, which is now a
unique collection comprising 4,400 strains of Leishmania, originating from
45 countries in 4 continents, including samples from different tissue types
of multiple human and animal hosts (reservoirs and insect vectors).
Moreover, since 1980, our lab has developed a unit of isoenzymatic strain
typing (15 enzymes) which carried out thousands of identifications for
numerous groups around the world. The activity of this unit has been
essential for numerous epidemiological studies. This isoenzymatic
identification technique is still the gold standard method for taxonomic
studies and robust classifications (phenetic and phylogenetic). During the
last few years, molecular typing method, by sequencing a RNA polymerase II
gene, has been used in parallel.
We are ready to be in contact with our Australian colleagues for further
discussion on the kangaroos case.
Best regards
J.P. Dedet

Professeur Jean-Pierre Dedet