[leish-l] Handbook of Cholesterol Systems in Insects and Animals

Book Club International munaf at vsnl.com
Mon Sep 30 11:46:36 BRT 2002

Dear Sir/Madam,
The Commonwealth Education Foundation, London is making the "The Handbook of Cholesterol Systems in Insects and Animals" edited by
Jacqueline Dupont,published by the C.R.C.Press International available to Nutritionists /Researchers/Entomologists  at a substantially
subsidized price.
The original price of this book  is $184(Rs.9200).
The contents include
Chapter I Sterols and Insects : Henry W.Kircher
I.Introduction
II.Absence of Sterol Synthesis by Insects
III.Utilization of Sterols by Insects..A.Common Sterols..B.Less Common Sterols...C.Sterol Precursors,Nor-Sterols and Metabolites...D.Summary
IV.Status and Function of Sterols in Insects..A.Dietary Uptake and Tissue Distribution of Sterols..B.Sterols in Reproduction..C.Sterols for
Defensive Purposes..D.Summary
V.Metabolism..A.Hydrolysis,Esterification and Conjugation..B.Introduction of Double Bonds..C.Saturation of Double Bonds..D.Dealkylation at C-
24 in the Phytosterol Side Chain..E.Truncations and Removal of the Side Chain..F.Summary
VI.Ecdysone  A.Structure..B.Biosynthesis..C.Sites of Ecdysone Biogynthesis..D.Mechanism of Action..E.Biolgical Activity..F.Ecdysteroid
Involvement in Reproduction..G.Catabolism and Excretion..H.Phytoecdysteroids..I.Summary
Appendices 1 & 2 ...Glossaries of Sterol Names and Other Names... References
Chapter 2 Cholesterol and Membranes : Rosemarie Ostwald
I. Introduction
II.Membrane Fuctions
III.Membrane Compostion..A.Phospholipids..B.Cholesterol
IV.Membrane Structure  A.Thermodynamic Considerations..B.Fluid-Mosaic Model..C.Asymmetry
V.Effect of Cholesterol in Membranes..A.Molecular Surface Area..B.Phase Changes,Fluidity
VI.Summary Acknowledgement and References
Chapter 3 Cholesterol Transport : Suk Yon Oh
I.Introduction
II. Lipoproteins as Transport Vehicles
III.Cholesterol Absorption from Intestine
IV.Lipoprotein Metabolism..A.Chylomicrons..B,C& D....Very Low Density ,Low Density and High Density Lipoproteins
V.Cholestrol Concentrations in Tissues
VI.Reverse Cholesterol Transport
VII.Cholesterol Esterification and Hydrolysis
VIII.Summary and References
Chapter 4.Cholesterol Catabolism and Bile Acid Metabolism :Satindra Goswami and Jacqueline Dupont
I.Introduction
II.Neutral Steroids ..A.Sources in the Gastrointestinal Tract..B.Bacterial Transformations
III.Bile Acids  A.Formation from Cholesterol....B.Bacterial Transformations ..C.Intestinal Metabolism of  Bile Acids..D.Functions of Bile
Acids...E.Regulation of Bile Acid Metabolism