[leish-l] Visceral leishmaniasis in Brazil

rpbrazil at netra.cpqrr.fiocruz.br rpbrazil at netra.cpqrr.fiocruz.br
Thu May 23 00:09:27 BRT 2002

Dear Dr.Opperdoes,
 The situation of VL in the State of Mato Grosso do Sul may be worst than we
think as the disease is spreading quite fast in the last 5 years. We have
beenworking in Corumbá and the number of infected dogs have been quite high
and control measurements have been observed by killing " infected" dogs and
sandfly control in areas were human cases have been identified. The delay in
the diagnose for  both dogs and man  is the main responsible for the fast
spaying of VL and death. Lutzomyia cruzi is the suspect vector of the
disease,this fly is close related to L. longipalpis (the vector in other areas of
Brazil)with biological behaviour similar to L. longipalpis. We are collecting
evidencethat a second sandfly species may act as vector also. Another aspect is that
parasite isolated seems to be more infective to hamnster than other isolates
form diferent areas of Brazil. The disease is moving south/east and is now in
the State of Sao Paulo. We have some evidence of authoctone canine VL in
Campo Grande but in this case we may have a change of vector to L.
longipalpis as it hapen in Sao Paulo.
Reginaldo P. Brazil