[leish-l] Leishmaniasis in Afghanistan 2

R.W. Ashford ashford at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon May 13 13:20:54 BRT 2002

Dear Dr Michaeli,

Thanks for that.  In terms of leishmaniasis, 1969 was a
long time ago, when it was still not possible to
differentiate reliably between Leishmania species. We have
come a long way since the (excellent) work of Gunders and
his co-workers.

Of course, Psammomys is restricted to arid zones, but it
occurs in relatively humid spots within these, where there
is abundant growth of Chenopodiaceae. Places in the Jordan
Valley, both west bank and east bank that I have visited
with Israeli and Jordanian colleagues are much more humid
than the surrounding territories. Only in Syria have I seen
it in truly arid locations.

Israeli workers from the Hadassah have found cases of L.
tropica, transmitted by P. sergenti, and probably
associated with hyraxes, which is very interesting.

It may also interest you that there was once a magnificent
Institute of Malaria and Leishmaniasis in Kabul (The only
institute in the world with leishmaniasis in its name as
far as I know). When I was last there, it had been reduced
to a shell with no roof, as a result of the shelling of the
entire city by one of the warlords who, as I was told, was
Minister for Defence at the time, and is currently being
courted by the international community. The world is full
of ironies.

You might like to see:
Ashford, R.W., Kohestany, K.A. and Karimzad, M.A. (1992).
Cutaneous leishmaniasis in Kabul, Afghanistan: observations
on a "prolonged epidemic". Annals of Tropical Medicine and
Parasitology, 86: 361-371.
and
Reyburn, H., Ashford R.W., Mohsen, M., Hewitt, S. and
Rowland, M. (2000).  A randomised control trial of
insecticide-treated bednets and chaddars or top sheets, and
residual spraying of interior rooms for the prevention of
cutaneous leishmaniasis in Kabul, Afghanistan. Transactions
of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 94:
for the latest information on Kabul, or
Ashford, R.W. and Bates, P.A. (1998).  Leishmaniases in the
Old World.  In: F.E.G. Cox, ed., Topley & Wilson's
Microbiology and Microbial Infections, 9th edition, Vol 5,
London: Arnold, pp215-240.
and
Ashford, R.W. (1998).  The leishmaniases.  In: S.R.
Palmer, L. Soulsby and D.I.H. Simpson, eds, Textbook of
Zoonoses. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp528-543.
361-366.
for general info on the epidemiology of Leish.

I'm sorry for upsetting you,

With kind regards,

Dick Ashford

On Mon, 13
May 2002 17:24:46 +0200 dan and micky michaeli
<michaeli at netvision.net.il> wrote:

> Sorry, but my note is based on well established facts
that were published in > the Journal of Infectious Diseases
in 1969 or about it ( I shall send the > references
tomorrow). I am sorry that the editor changed a little my >
original text concerning the vector. I wrote that the
vectors in Israel are > "gerbils and psammomys, both wild
rodents" this is of course more accurate. > The psammomys
in the Jericho area lives in dry river beds, and it is >
relatively close to the Dead Sea and it is true that the
soil there is salty > and I agree with this comment ,but
the jerbils were found by another group > in the Jordan
Valley and I don't have first hand information about the
soil > there. I don't know of P. sergenti in Israel but P.
papatasii is very common > and was always considered the
agent here. It could be different in other > areas of the
world. > > It is disappointing that before cricising so
vehemently my notes Dr Ashford > did not ask at least for
the references. At least I am pleased to know that > my
guess there is a connection between population movements
and the present > outbreak. > > Sincerely, > > Dan Michaeli
<ashford at liverpool.ac.uk> > To: "Fred R. Opperdoes"
<opperdoes at trop.ucl.ac.be> > Cc: <leish-l at bdt.org.br>;
<michaeli at netvision.net.il> > Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002
12:25 PM > Subject: Re: [leish-l] Leishmaniasis in
Afghanistan 2 > > > > Re the Leishmaniasis in Afghanistan
mailing: > > > > 1. Cutaneous leish in Afghanistan is of
two sorts, caused > > by L. major in the northern border
area, and by L. tropica > > in cities throughout the
country. > > > > 2. L. tropica does not have reservoir host
other than Man. > > > > 3. L. tropica is transmitted by  P.
sergenti, not P. > > papatasi. > > > > 4. In Kabul at
least, the increasing number of cases is > > almost
certainly due to increasing movement of people into > > a
'dependent focus' (ecological 'sink') > > > > 5. Psammomys
(a gerbil, not a mouse, that lives in humid > > salt-flats
not dry river valleys) does not occur in > > Afghanistan,
where the reservoir host of L. major is > > Rhombomys
opimus, as it is throughout central Asia. > > > > 6.
Astonishing that such a short article should contain so > >
many inaccuracies. > > > > P.s. there have been a handful
of reports of infantile > > visceral leishmaniasis,
presumably due to L. infantum, from > > Afghanistan. > > >
> Transmission should be starting about now, and will peak
in > > September, when large numbers of any international
troops > > there will become infected. They need
information, not > > nonsense. > > > > Regards to all, > >
ProMED-mail <promed at promed.isid.harvard.edu> > > >
>Subject: PRO/AH> Leishmaniasis - Afghanistan (02) > > > >
>******************************* > > > >A ProMED-mail post
program of the > > > >International Society for Infectious
Diseases > > > ><http://www.isid.org> > > > > > > > >Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 11:05:48 +0200 > > > >From: Dan Michaeli,
MD <michaeli at netvision.net.il> > > > > > > > > > > >
>Background information on leishmaniasis in Afghanistan > >
> >- ----------------------------------------- > > >
>Cutaneous leishmaniasis is a very old endemic disease. The
Afghanistan > form > > > >is most probably an example of
"Leishmaniasis of the Old World" that is > > > >common in
the Mediterranean area and along the "Silk Route" between
the > > > >Middle East and the Far East. It is hosted
mainly by animals. Unlike > > > >_L.donovani_ (the agent
for kala azar), the cutaneous form (primarily > > > >caused
by _L.tropica_) is harboured in smaller animals. > > > > >
> > >The cycle is very interesting because the transmitting
vector, > _Phlebotomus > > > >papatasii_, protects itself
from the heat in arid areas in the burrows > of > > >
>_Psammomys_ mice, which [are found] along dry river beds
that still > have > > > >some > > > >humidity in their
soil. In the evening and at night the flies leave the > > >
>burrows and may fly as far as a kilometer, and that's when
they bite > > > >exposed areas of the body. Because of the
heat people may sleep half > naked, > > > >and we have seen
people who were bitten so many times that they had a > few
observe such a widespread epidemic as the > > > >current
one, and I wonder whether the people involved migrated only
time that most > children > > > >over the age of 6 were
already protected, having probably been infected > > >
>before. > > > > > > > >- -- > > > >Dan Michaeli MD > > >
>Chairman, Clalit Health Services, Israel > > >
><michaeli at netvision.net.il> > > > > > > > >[Thank you very
much for the interesting background information. We > have
no > > > >information as to whether the increase in
cutaneous leishmaniasis is > due to > > > >an increase of
the vector or migration of non-immune humans into > endemic
>2002 > > > >- -- > > > >Leishmaniasis - Afghanistan
(Kabul): alert  20020508.4134 > > > >Leishmania, Pakistan
ex Afghanistan      20020213.3556 > > > >2001 > > > >- -- >