[leish-l] Fwd: In today's UN News -- thought you might be interested

jshaw at tba.com.br jshaw at tba.com.br
Sun Aug 18 21:03:47 BRT 2002

----- Forwarded message from "Arias, Dr. Jorge (WDC)" <ariasjor at paho.org> -----
    Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:06:50 -0400
    From: "Arias, Dr. Jorge (WDC)" <ariasjor at paho.org>
 Subject: In today's UN News -- thought you might be interested
      To: "Jeffrey Shaw (E-mail)" <jshaw at tba.com.br>

BM_28350
INFECTIOUS DISEASES: Gates Foundation Gives $4.6M For Neglected Ills
The Bill  <http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default.asp> & Melinda Gates
Foundation yesterday awarded grants totaling $4.6 million to the Institute
of OneWorld  <http://www.oneworldhealth.org/index.html> Health to fund drug
development for two neglected parasitic diseases.

The foundation is giving $4.2 million to the institute for a joint project
with the World Health Organization and the International Dispensary
Association <http://www.ida.nl/>  to further development of a new drug for
visceral leishmaniasis, a disease sometimes known as "black fever" that
threatens over 350 million people across the globe.

Another $476,100 is to enable the institute to finish testing of a drug to
fight Chagas disease, which kills 50,000 people annually in Latin America
and afflicts more than 16 million worldwide.

Sally Stansfield, the foundation's acting infectious diseases and vaccines
chief, said a current West Nile virus outbreak in the United States "reminds
us all that we are interconnected across borders and oceans and that we must
never neglect efforts to prevent these infectious diseases" ( Bill
<http://www.gatesfoundation.org/globalhealth/infectiousdiseasevaccines/vacci
nes/announcements/announce-020814.htm> & Melinda Gates Foundation release,
Aug. 14).

(Back  <http://www.unfoundation.org/unwire/current.asp#contents> to
Contents)

----- End forwarded message -----