Leishmaniasis, dogs - USA (06)

Jeffrey Shaw jshaw at tba.com.br
Sat May 13 21:39:11 BRT 2000

Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 00:31:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: ProMED-mail <promed at promed.isid.harvard.edu>
Subject: PRO/AH> Leishmaniasis, dogs - USA (06)

LEISHMANIASIS, DOGS - USA (06)
********************************
A ProMED-mail post
<http://www.promedmail.org>

[see also:
Leishmaniasis, dogs - USA (02) 20000424220647
Leishmaniasis, dogs - USA (03) 20000426223625
Leishmaniasis, dogs - USA (04) 20000430003928
Leishmaniasis, dogs - USA (05) 20000503094746]

Date: 11 May 2000
From: Ellicott McConnell <eck at shore.intercom.net>

Someone asked, if _Leishmania_ are persistent in dogs, should not the
disease eventually appear in humans. This is an organism we still do not
completely understand. Dogs are recognized to be a host around the
Mediterranean, yet in an area endemic for kala azar in the Sudan we were
unable to make a single isolation by transferring bone marrow directly to
hamsters from hundreds of dogs....essentially all the dogs in the region
where we were working [were infected? - Mod. TG]. We had no trouble
isolating it from sandflies or humans, though. It is probably safer to call
an isolate [_Leishmania_] donovani-like until you have more details in hand.

- --
Ellicott McConnell
eck at shore.intercom.net