Request for information on treatment of leishmaniasis

Jack Jack anonuser9999 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 8 14:01:09 BRT 2000

Hi Lee,

Since I a don't have any medical training please don't take my comments as
actual advice.

I was diagnosed with and and treated for Leishmania panamensis, previously
known as Leishmania brazilensis panamensis, in 1997. I acquired the parasite
hiking along the border between Panama or Costa Rica. L. panamensis is known
to cause inflammation of the lymphatic nodes and nodes biopsied from my were
tested by PCR and determined to be Leishmania, although the exact species
was not determined diagnostically.

I was treated with oral Ketoconazole 600 mg daily for one month and then
oral Ketoconazole 400 mg daily for a total course of 13 weeks. Three
cutaneous leisions healed completely. Ketoconazole has been shown to be as
effective as pentavalent antimony, the classic agent used to treat cutaneous
leishmaniasis. (See Saenz et al, Efficacy of ketoconazole against Leishmania
brazilensis panamensis cutaneous leishmaniasis, American Journal of
Medicine, 1990; 89:147-55.)

The use of ketoconazole against other two other species of Leishmania
causing cutaneous leishmaniasis is documented in another paper by Navin et
al, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial of Sodium Stibogluconate (Pentostam)
versus Ketoconazole for Treating Cutaneous Leishmaniasis in Guatemala,
Journal of Infectious Diseases, 1992;165:528-34.

I cannot comment on how either pentavalent antimony or ketoconazole might
affect pregnancy.

Feel free to reply to this address if you have more questions.

Good luck,