Use of antileishmanial drugs during pregnancy

Jeffrey Shaw jshaw at tba.com.br
Wed Jan 5 18:37:38 BRST 2000

Dear Jacques,

Treating dogs in an endemic area is considered to have risks. Principally
the possible introduction of resistance parasite populations. This is
especially important when dogs are the reservoirs as in many mediterranean
areas. Besides this the success rate for dog treatments is not very high
and seems to depend the race.

There have been reports from North American vets of successful treatment
with allopurinol. You can find references to these in the list of past
postings which is available on the Leishmaniasis Networks web site
[http://www.bdt.org.br/bdt/leishnet].

With best wishes

Jeffrey Shaw

At 11:50 PM 04-01-00 -0200, you wrote:
>Is there any information about the use of antimonials or amphotericin b
>during pregnancy. Im a french vet and its about the treatment of a dog. I ve
>never found any informations about dogs (unless reports about in utero
>contamination), whats the opinion of physicians?
>
>Best regards, happy new year, century, millenium.....
>
>JACQUES LAMOTHE
>06510 CARROS
>FRANCE

*   Jeffrey J. Shaw,						*
*   Senior Parasitology Professor, Department of Parasitology,	*
*   Manager International Leishmaniasis Network,   		*
*   Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas 				*
*   Universidade de São Paulo (USP)    				*
*   Av. Lineu Prestes, 1374           				*
*   05508-900 São Paulo, Brazil       				*
*   Private Office - Phone: 55-61-367-3935  			*
*   		   - FAX:   55-61-367-4217			*
*   email: jshaw at tba.com.br; jeffreyj at usp.br			*