VL USA cont

AME aye4286 at teleline.es
Fri Apr 28 19:52:03 BRT 2000

I´m an spanish veterinarian, who works everyday with dogs infected whith
leishmania. I work in an endemic area. I´d try to talk about control
measures. First of all I want to say that abandoned dogs, with no veterinary
control are a real danger in the epidemiology of this illnes. We must try
control learning the "way of life" of the sandfly. Here in my area the
sandfly involved is P. pernicipsus. This sanflly uses to eat early in the
morning, and in the evening. When the sun is high and the temperature is
high the sandfly is not active. It is an outside mosquito, son if we protect
dogs inside in those moments the danger of transmission is lower. Also
ultraviolet lights, sprays antimosquitos, are interesting in the control.
I also want to answer that even though we dont know how to cure it, we have
some treatments that allows the animal to live without sintomas, so I think
the euthanasi is not the only way.
Hoping this  helps someone and pidiendo perdon because of my english:
Antonio Fdez. Ruiz Hidalgo. Veterinarian Col 4024.