VL USA cont

Jaclamothe at aol.com Jaclamothe at aol.com
Thu Apr 27 17:02:07 BRT 2000

Dans un courrier daté du 27/04/00 19:10:19 Paris, Madrid (heure d'été),
Dquaka at cs.com a écrit :

>    Am I the only person that has a dog that has been successfully treated
>  for Leishmaniasis? My dog contracted the disease sometime prior to the
fall
>  of 93. He was treated with Allopurinol - and is currently symptom free - 6
>  and a half years later. Just wondering if he is an exception.

Since the use of allopurinol in maintainance treatment in dogs (10 to 15
mg/kg tid or bid all life long or 1 week a  month) canine leismaniasis has a
better prognosis. Roura, Sanchez an Ferrer have shown tha 50% of the dogs are
pcr negative (bone marrow) after 6 months. Do they still harbour parasites in
their skin? Perhaps no! In the past, vets treated again and again  with
antimonials when dogs were relapsing. It has  certainly created some
resistant strains that are responsible of primary resistance in humans in
areas were  dogs are treated (i think that refusing to treat dogs or killing
them is impossible). SInce some years  dogs are protected against infection
and reinfections with collars impregnated with deltamethrin (scalibor®) or
treated with pump spray containing permethrine (Duowin® and others) (it also
reduces  the transmission of the disease ). I am  working about treatment of
dogs with amphotericin b in lipid emulsion. The follow up of these dogs show
that most of them are pcr negative (bone marrow) after a short cure. We are
also studying what happens in  the skin.  Early diagnosis,   pcr in the
follow up or in the diagnosis of the disease , treatment with allopurinol
(Slappendel has shown that it works alone : 87%of the dogs are still alive
after 6 years) , amphotericin B , use of repellents, with all these tools , a
high percentage of dogs can be clinically or parasitologically cured  without
nearly any risk for humans.

Jacques Lamothe
CLINIQUE VETERINAIRE
1, rond-point de la Roya