Glucantime - quality control

Susanne Rath raths at iqm.unicamp.br
Tue Jan 26 12:04:10 BRST 1999

Dear Sirs,
My name is Susanne Rath and right now I register me in the Leishmaniasis
Network List. I was happy to found this site and I am looking forward to
the possibility to change scientific informations.
I am working with the characterization of the N-methylglucamine
antimoniate, particullary with the quantification of antimony (V) in
drugs employed in the terapy of leishmaniasis in Brazil. I started with
this research after various discussions that I had  with Dr. Philipp
Marsden from the University of Brasília.   According to Dr. Philip,
therapeutic efficacy and side effect of the drug depends of the batch
lot employed. In our studies we confirmed that the content of the
pentavalent antimony changes from batch to batch and contamination of
antimony (III) was detected in all samples analyzed.
In this way, I would appreciate if I could have more information about
variation in efficacy and side effects observed in patient treated with
Glucantime that will be confirm our results.
Is there another group working with the standardization of Glucantime or
Pentostam?
Many thanks,
Best regards,

Dr. Susanne Rath