cross immunity induced by L(L)mexicana

Jake Jacobson jacobsr at cc.huji.ac.il
Wed Sep 2 07:07:55 BRT 1998

This is a bit like turning the clock back, but there is work from the 60's,
70', e.g."Leishmaniasis in Brazil: XII. Observations on cross-immunity in
monkeys and man infected with Leishmania mexicana mexicana, L. m.
amazonensis, L. braziliensis braziliensis, L. b. guyanensis and L. b.
panamensis". Lainson-R; Shaw-JJ	J-Trop-Med-Hyg. 1977 Feb; 80(2): 29-35. AND
	"Leishmania tropica and Leishmania mexicana: cross-immunity in
mice".Alexander-J; Phillips-RS	Exp-Parasitol. 1978 Jun; 45(1): 93-100 and
the 80's : "The correlation between delayed hypersensitivity, lymphocyte
activation and protective immunity in experimental murine leishmaniasis".
De-Rossell-RA; Bray-RS; Alexander-J Parasite-Immunol. 1987 Jan; 9(1): 105-15.
 Just for the record we also did some work on L. major (L.tropica in the
older literature) live promastigote pre- infected Balb/c mice will
cross-protect against L.mexicana infections i.e. much smaller lesion size
or absence of lesion, BUT parasites can be found months later in the lymph
glands, which in our opinion was no protection at all and therefore not
worth yet another publication to clutter the literature.

Yours aye,
Jake
Dr. R.L. Jacobson
Department of Parasitology
The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School
POB 12272, Jerusalem 91120
Israel
Tel: 972-2-6758077
Fax 972-2-6757425