LEISHMANIA GENOME NETWORK WEB SITE UPDATE

Al Ivens a.ivens at ic.ac.uk
Thu Jan 30 14:45:09 BRST 1997

Fellow Leishmaniacs!

#########################  MAJOR DATA UPDATE 1  ###########################

The WHO Leishmania Genome Network Web site has been updated today.  New
features include direct BLASTN and BLASTX links for EST clones, and there
are updated figures for contigs, contig pictures and probe information.
Happy surfing!

Just in case you never received or have mislaid the first LGN Webmail, I
have included it below.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Best wishes,

Al Ivens
WHO LGN Secretary

A brief message announcing the new, improved WHO Leishmania Genome Network
Web site, which has recently been installed at the European Bioinformatics
Institute in Cambridge, UK.  The address is:

         http://www.ebi.ac.uk/parasites/leish.html

Although I have tried to put as many relevant subjects on it as possible, I
am always open to suggestions/criticisms/corrections: do not hesitate to
email me with your ideas!  Below is the home page, which gives an indication
of the breadth of topics covered.

                    THE W.H.O. Leishmania GENOME NETWORK

Chairman of the Leishmania Genome Network
Jennie Blackwell, Department of Medicine, Level 5, Addenbrooke's Hospital,
Hills Rd., Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK. Email: jmb37 at cus.cam.ac.uk

Secretary
Al Ivens, Department of Biochemistry, Imperial College, Exhibition Rd.,
London SW7 2AZ, UK. Email: a.ivens at ic.ac.uk

OVERVIEW
The aim of the W.H.O. Leishmania Genome Network (LGN) is to obtain a
detailed high-resolution map of the reference strain Leishmania major
Friedlin (MHOM/IL/81/Friedlin). This is being achieved by the application of
a number of complementary approaches: the determination of a pulsed field
gel (PFG) chromosomal "karyotype", shuttle cosmid clone fingerprinting to
generate overlapping contigs, sequencing and mapping of expressed sequence
tags (ESTs) to PFG-separated chromosomes, and the generation of DNA sequence
from specific chromosomes. A number of laboratories within the LGN are
collaborating to generate a genome map of physical and biological/functional
interest. The resources that are contributing to the map are freely
available to the research community: data are lodged in the LGN database
LeishDB.

Give me more information on:

* Leishmania karyotypes
* cosmid contig mapping
* EST sequencing
* genomic sequencing
* where I can get clones, etc.
* where I can get all the software and available data
* the laboratories involved
* the INDEX of all Leishmania Genome Network WWW pages
* taxonomy of Leishmania
* the W.H.O. Leishmaniasis WWW page
* parasite genomes page
* ENTREZ to RETRIEVE all Leishmania sequences

*****  VISIT THE WEB SITE:  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/parasites/leish.html  *****

Dr. Al Ivens, Department of Biochemistry, Imperial College, Exhibition Road,
London SW7 2AZ, U.K.
My "lab" (Room 690) phone number is -XX-44-171-5895111 ext. 55211; my office
is -XX-44-171-5945198, and the Fax number is -XX-44-171-2250960.
My email address is a.ivens at ic.ac.uk.
I begrudgingly pay to have Compuserve membership: my ID is 100060,16 if you
want to get a hold of me there.

Hear from you soon!