Leishmania in a dog

Thomas E. Quaka 104242.3312 at compuserve.com
Wed Oct 23 18:00:10 BRST 1996

     I thought I would update everyone on my dog's progress with
Leishmania. He has been on Allopurinol since April 12, 1996 and is
currently asmyptomatic. I have been in contact with a Canadian veterinarian
who successfully treated 6 Huskies with Leishmania. Those dogs were given
allopurinol for 9 months and have been considered "cured," as it is now
over two years later and all dogs are doing well and working.
     I plan to keep my dog on allopurinol until his protein electrophoresis
is normal. Right now the alpha 1 fraction is slightly low and the gamma 2
fraction is very slightly elevated. However, the values have been steadily
moving in the normal direction.
     I appreciate all the help, advice, and good wishes from this list.
Thank you for your interest and wish us more luck! I'll keep you posted on
his progress.
     Debra Quaka