Viruses

Jeffrey Shaw jshaw at bdt.org.br
Thu Oct 3 07:34:03 BRT 1996

I sent the virus warning message in GOOD FAITH as I had received it from a friend. Because of this under NO circumstances did I suspect it as being a HOAX. I am obviously as ANNOYED, as are some of our list members!

However, I expect this will serve as a lesson for those of us (myself included) who are not versed with the perverse aspects of INTERNET communication as are computer experts. In this respect I would ask the latter to be more tolerant of your less knowledgeable colleagues.

The following is part of an email I received from a tolerant friend:
"A mail message cannot infect a computer with one exception. If it contains an executable macro which an ascii message cannot. There is at least one such virus known but it is in MS-Word documents as a macro."

I am relieved to know that I can open my email without worrying!

With best wishes
Jeffrey Shaw