drug responses

col_jonathan_berman at WRSMTP-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL col_jonathan_berman at WRSMTP-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL
Thu Jan 11 14:26:27 BRST 1996

Re: antimonial efficacy in vitro and in vivo:

Articles close at hand are:

1. Older review of preclinical data

Berman JD.  Experimental Chemotherapy of Leishmaniasis - a critical review. in
            Leishmaniasis (Eds: Chang K-P, and Bray RS.).  pp 112-138. (1985).

Note however:

Roberts and Rainey 1993.  antileishmanial activity of sodium stibogluconate
fractions. Antimicrob Agent Chemother 37: 1842

2. Fairly recent review of clinical data:

Herwaldt BL. Recommendations for treating leishmaniasis with sodium
stibogluconate (Pentostam) and review of pertinent clinical studies. Am J Trop
Med Hyg 46: 296-306 (1992).

Note also:  The preclinical  literature is difficult because there is no
standard in vitro model and also no standard in vivo model.  Another
complicating factor is that the efficacy of antimony in whatever model is
employed can also be determined n the presence of immunomodulators. If you want
to get into the literature in depth, you might do well to call me directly (301-
427-5305; digital pager: 301-369-5445).

                                            COL Berman

hello everyone,
I am writing because I have just started to do some work on drug
treatment of Visceral Leishmaniasis in humans. I am trying to find
some papers that look into the dose response killing rate of
antimonial drugs. The data can be either from vitro or vivo
experiments. I would be very greatful for any general information or
possible authors and papers.
Thanks alot, Peter.